Steelton-Highspire School District
250 Reynders Avenue
Steelton, PA 17113
Telephone (717) 704-3801
FAX (717) 704-3808
Steelton-Highspire School District One to One Chromebook Initiative
Beginning in the 2017-2018 school year all students in grades 3-12 received a Chromebook for use at school.
Students in Grades k-2 have access to shared devices in classroom-based fashion.
In the 2018-2019 school year, 2nd grade received Chromebooks.
In the 2019-2020 school year, Kindergarten and 1st grade started receiving shared Ipads.
In 2020-2021 all students k-12 will have access to a device in a one to one scenario.
The goal of the 1:1 initiative is to create a learning environment that allows our students to stay competitive and up to date with technology advances in digital learning. The initiative will allow the students to use their devices throughout the day in every class to encourage critical thinking skills, enhance communication skills, expand collaboration, increase productivity and inspire innovation.
The district recognizes that students need access to current technology to help motivate and inspire advanced learning and to develop 21st-century digital literacy skills. The teachers recognize the need to adapt teaching strategies to incorporate the use of technology and the lower cost of the Chromebooks is an affordable option that allows the district to place more devices in the student's hand than ever before. The staff and students will receive professional development throughout the year on the effective use of the technology. The staff will teach the students how to use the technology responsibly and how to be safe while using online resources.
- All students in grades 7-12 will be assigned a specific Chromebook their first three weeks of school by their homeroom teacher. Students will keep that Chromebook through the school year and return it during the last week of school. Students in grades k-6 will use devices that stay in the classrooms and will not take them home. (During the 2019-2020 COVID 19 Pandemic students in grades 2-6 are also issued take-home devices.)
- During the first week, Jr./Sr. high school homeroom teachers will pass out the Google Permission form to the students for their guardian to sign and return to the homeroom teacher. The homeroom teacher will then send the student to the library with their signed form to receive their Chromebooks.
- The Elem teachers will be responsible for assigning a Chromebook to a student and track which Chromebook is assigned to which student in the Google spreadsheet.
- Jr./Sr. high school students that enroll throughout the year will need to go to the library at the Jr./Sr. high school to receive their Chromebook. They must bring in a signed Chromebook agreement before receiving a Chromebook. The library staff will document the information in the inventory system. Elementary students will bring their signed form to their teacher to receive their Chromebook.
- When a student withdrawals from school they must turn in their Chromebook before they leave to the homeroom teacher or guidance office. If a student does not return their device, the District will pursue financial restitution and legal action.
- Chromebooks will work in a limited capacity offline without an internet connection. If you do not have internet at home keep this in mind. We are asking your child in grade 7-12 to bring them home and charge them for the next day. If you need low-cost internet at home Comcast Internet essentials offer low-cost internet for qualifying families. Please reference their program on the internet.
- Chromebook devices are filtered by our web content filtering software for inappropriate content both at school and at home. The parent/guardian will still need to make sure the students are using the device appropriately at home and use your home family rules and guidelines for electronic device usage.
- Students will be financially responsible for any damage that occurs to their Chromebook.
- If damage occurs, the student is to notify their teacher immediately and the teacher will report the damage to the Principal and the Technology Department. The student must turn the broken device into the library and the technology department will repair the device. Repair costs are billed to the Parent/Guardian. If the Chromebook can’t be fixed the Parent/Guardian will be charged full price of a new Chromebook.
- Students in grades 2-6 are not typically allowed to take their Chromebook home but in some instances, the teacher may allow them to take it home for a special project or scenario. Students in grades 7-8 may take their Chromebooks home only if their grade level team decides that they are responsible enough to take on that responsibility. Students in grades 9-12 may talk their Chromebook home as soon as they receive it. If students take their Chromebooks home they are expected to bring them to school with them every day fully charged.
- Every student is required to follow the Steelton-Highspire School District’s Acceptable use policy for use of technology. The policy can be found on the district’s technology website and in the student handbook.
- The students that receive a Chromebook will be required to sign a form indicating their receipt of the Chromebook and their agreement to all rules and procedures.
- Students are required to keep their Chromebooks with them or locked in a locker or charging cart at all times. If a student wants to leave the Chromebook in the classroom during lunch the teacher is responsible for making sure the door is locked after all students leave the room. The students must lock up their Chromebook during gym in the gym lockers.
- If a student forgets to charge their Chromebook at home they can charge it in a provided charging cart in several rooms throughout the building. If a student forgets their Chromebook at home they may request a loaner from their teacher if one is available but it must be left in that teacher's room after each class.
Please refer to the One to One documents located on our district technology website or contact your child’s teacher for more questions